In order to make an accurate diagnosis, the department hepatology, gastroenterology and gastrointestinal oncology has a reliable endoscopy unit (from the Greek “endo” within and “scopein” to observe) housed in modern facilities, which uses the latest technologies for viewing the gastrointestinal tract by means of a camera or video capsule.
These examinations are also used to:
- collect biopsy samples (for analysing small samples)
- resect polyps
- coagulate haemorrhaging blood vessels
- extract gallstones from bile ducts
- dilate and/or place stents in the oesophagus, bile ducts or colon in cases of narrowing
- fit gastric balloons as part of obesity treatment.
You have to have a total colonoscopy? You will find all the necessary information to prepare yourself prior to this procedure in this document.