Our department is comprised of 13 cardiologists trained in complementary specialisations:
- general cardiology,
- acute cardiology,
- interventional cardiology,
- cardiac rhythm study,
- interventional cardiac rhythm study,
- cardiac imaging,
- preventive cardiology,
- sports cardiology,
- cardiac rehabilitation.
Our team provides round-the-clock management of cardiac conditions, from prevention to treatment:
- primary and secondary prevention,
- high blood pressure,
- high cholesterol,
- heart failure,
- coronary artery disease and myocardial infarction,
- cardiac rhythm disorders,
- cardiac valve diseases,
- congenital conditions (atrial septal and ventricular septal defect, patent foramen ovale, bicuspid aortic valve).
The in-patient unit comprises 32 beds, including 5 active beds (Middle care or CCU). The CCU is the section of the in-patient unit specifically used for patients who:
- suffer from acute cardiac problems: acute coronary syndrome, acute heart failure,
- have undergone coronary angioplasty, heart surgery, aortic valvoplasty, or had a pacemaker or defibrillator fitted.
The medical imaging unit team is made up of 4 cardiologists, 1 radiologist, 1 cardiac rhythm specialist and 1 nuclear medicine specialist. Through synergistic collaboration, they research and diagnose all coronary problems.
The following tests are performed at the unit:
- transthoracic echocardiography,
- transœsophageal echocardiography,
- drug-induced stress echocardiography,
- stress echocardiography,
- paediatric ultrasound,
- two-dimensional strain imaging by echocardiography,
- contrast echocardiography,
- three-dimensional intracardiac echocardiography,
- evaluation of ventricular dyssynchrony,
- coronary CT scan,
- stress and drug-induced stress myocardial scintigraphy.
The cardiac rhythm testing unit is made up of 4 cardiac rhythm specialists who diagnose and treat all cardiac rhythm disorders.
- electrophysiological investigation,
- ablation of ventricular and supraventricular arrhythmia, including ablation of atrial fibrillation,
- 1 to 7-day Holter cardiac rhythm monitoring,
- cardiac monitoring by implantable ECG (Reveal),
- implantation and monitoring of internal pacemakers and defibrillators.
The cardiology department is a division of the Brussels Heart Center, a cardiology-based medical and surgical association, and forms part of the Heart Clinic network.